Alot of people enjoy training outside in lakes and rivers. And I totally agree, I love it.
However, I do see people losing fitness throughout the Summer as they just swim lap after lap with no focus to their training.
Here are my 5 top tips to help you to get the most from your Open Water Training.
1. Have a plan and stick to it. So, if you have written an interval type open water session then stick to that. Don't be swayed by friends at the lake.
2. Make sure you warm up and cool down for each session.
3. Work on technique and drills such as sighting, race starts, swimming round the buoy etc.
4. Still do a swim session in the pool once a week. I rtend to do my interval or pure speed session in the pool still and my skills, endurance and pace changes in the open water.
5. Be consistent with your training.